Study skills workshops: 2024-25

Study skills workshops: 2024-25

by Jen Smith -
Number of replies: 0

Dear all,

Welcome to the new academic year. 

Whether you are new to theological study, have been out of formal education for a long time or would just benefit from a reminder/ reset, study skills workshops are for you! Alongside the resources provided online (see learning resources in the student services menu on Moodle), in the Autumn term, we invite you to join in with our series of study skills workshops designed to help you understand the tasks you are being asked to complete as part of your course and give you the skills to engage confidently in them.

Many students from across the different courses and pathways at Queen’s have told us how much these sessions have helped them, so don’t miss out.  

Workshops can be accessed both online and in-person. For exact dates, times and to book: see here: https://queens.jotform.com/242253230756957

Thanks,

Jen Smith

This year's workshops:

Introduction to theological writing

What is 'theological writing'? Surely, it's just writing about theology? Come and find out! Whether you're an experienced writer or new to Higher Education settings, join a conversation about what it means to approach theological education holistically ... and pick up some practical skills on how to do it in the process.

Introduction to theological referencing

How do I include other people's ideas in my own writing? What is a footnote? When do I need quotation marks and which resources do I include in a bibliography? Find answers to all these questions and more.

Developing critical thinking

Have you ever received assignment feedback suggesting that you develop your critical thinking or highlighting that your work is ‘more descriptive than analytical’? This session will give you a range of practical hints and tips on how to engage with theological topics and questions accurately and analytically. 

A practical guide to assignment planning and structuring

Not a natural planner? Know that you need to plan your assignments more thoroughly but don’t know where to start? Join this workshop where we’ll explore a range of options of how to plan and structure your writing; how to then use your plan to write your assignment and finally, how to improve your first draft towards a completed, final assignment.