Welcome and Welcome Back!

Welcome and Welcome Back!

by Clive Marsh -
Number of replies: 0

To: All Queen’s Students

Dear All

As I begin my second year as Principal, and whilst feeling that I am myself still being introduced to elements of my own role for the first time, I send greetings and good wishes to you whether you are a new or continuing student, and wherever you are…Myanmar, Rwanda, Sri Lanka, Exeter, Dublin, Durham, Leicester, Northampton, or even Birmingham! I trust that the year will begin well for you.

The Covid Lockdowns have demanded much of us and have also taught us much. We have made some changes to our teaching patterns. We have been able to experiment with new forms of worship and arrange events which draw more of the Queen’s community together. Our research seminars, for example, have been able to be more international. We shall keep on trying to learn and hold on to the best of what has happened over the past 18 months, without simply either returning to ‘old normal’ or assuming that ‘Zoom is always preferable’.

Whether or not you will come physically to Queen’s as a student we trust that you already feel a part of the Queen’s community. People connect – with the institution, and with each other – and feel part of the whole in many different ways. What the last year or so has reminded us all is that we are very different from each other and our sense of connection happens in various ways. Some need to be in the company of other bodies…otherwise it’s not real connection. Others have found a screen full of Zoom faces really helpful (‘this is the group I am part of: it makes me feel included!’). Whatever works for us, we’ve all been challenged to think about the extent to which we do need others. And it’s an invitation for us to reflect on how we each understand theologically what’s going on here (what it means to be ‘in Christ’, what the ‘Body of Christ’ is and how participation in the Body is experienced, how the Holy Spirit links people, what ‘Church is’, …I can feel a ‘Post-Lockdown Doctrine Course’ coming on!).

One other thought: we’re a Foundation of five Centres (Black Theology, Continuing Ministerial Development, Discipleship and Theology, Ministerial Formation, Research and Global Partnerships). As a student you will find your ‘home’ in one of those five Centres because of the pathway of study/formation that you are on. Our hope, though, is that we all find and take opportunity to engage with what is going on across the Foundation and benefit from what other Centres than the one you’re ‘in’ are contributing to the Foundation’s life. Yes, it takes time and is not always possible. But keep your eyes open for events which can take you into new areas. Make sure you attend worship – when you can – which is not simply from your ‘own’ tradition.

Have a good year!

Blessings and best wishes as always

Clive Marsh
Principal