Teaching and Learning during the Summer Term

Teaching and Learning during the Summer Term

by Clive Marsh -
Number of replies: 0

It is time once more for an update about teaching. When I wrote to you all as a Queen’s Community on Feb 10th I said: ‘We shall be having another look pre-Easter at what our teaching and learning plans for the Summer term will need to be…’. So here are the results of that ‘further look’.

You will not be surprised to learn that although the Government is strongly encouraging universities to return to face-to-face teaching where they can, the circumstances of large-scale campuses with more open study spaces are very different from our own. Working within the Government’s ‘roadmap’, when our own on-site facilities do not allow for the kind of social distancing needed for all to feel safe – and certainly, so long as not all of us have yet been vaccinated – this makes the prospect of any kind of in-person return extremely unwise. We have therefore had to make the decision that teaching will remain online for the first half of the Summer term (through to w/b May 31st). Added to that, we have reluctantly had to conclude already that modules for Methodist Probationers will also need to remain online beyond half-term.

We shall need to take further decisions during late April/early May about the final half-term of the year, and do not want to raise hopes unduly by not taking the decision to remain fully online for the rest of the year. Our hope is simply that we may, whilst still operating firmly within Government regulations and guidelines, be able to consider a limited number of one-off, on-site, events during June. In particular we shall want, if at all possible, to provide opportunity for leavers to meet in person before leaving, and first-year ministerial students to meet face-to-face at least once, before the academic year is out. These two groups would be our priority if any kind of face-to-face meetings become feasible. Whilst any on-site gatherings would relate to modules, we are not envisaging any full return of any particular pathway or module to face-to-face mode. And even then, we may, of course, have to accept that some participants may not wish to travel. Furthermore, if there are any setbacks to the roadmap, then even these still tentative hopes may be dashed. We are simply wanting to let you know that we are not ruling out a limited return. Bodies are important! We’d like to see more of them on campus…and we’re sure that many of you would like that too.

In the meantime, I trust that the lighter mornings, the fact that there is a roadmap out of lockdown at all, and the fact that you, as a whole community, are handling the constraints of online teaching and contact so admirably, keep you buoyant and hopeful.

Like lots of people I’ve found the Psalms invaluable over the past year. I’ve been inflicting modern versions of the Psalms (sometimes slightly tweaked) by Leslie F. Brandt (Psalms Now, if you’re interested) on many of the groups and committees I’ve chaired meetings of since September. Here’s a short extract from Ps 89: 

‘I feel like singing this morning, O Lord.

I feel like telling everyone around me how great You are.

If only they could know the depths of Your love

and Your eternal concern for those who follow You!

…How glorious it is to be alive, O Lord!

May every breath of my body,

every beat of my heart,

be dedicated to Your praise and glory.’

Enough said…

Wherever you are, and whatever your current circumstances, blessings and best wishes to you all.

Clive