Navigating Choppy Waters!

Navigating Choppy Waters!

by Clive Marsh -
Number of replies: 0

To: All members of the Queen's Community

I just wanted to pass on some information about the current staffing situation at Queen’s. Many of you will have been aware of the scale of staff-change, planned and unexpected, which has been happening over the past 18 months. There has indeed been considerable staff change, but I wanted to offer reassurance as well as providing some commentary on what has been happening.

In addressing the task of advertising new posts, many of which are re-structured posts rather than simple replacements because of the changing long-term staffing needs at Queen’s, we have faced the challenge that there are fewer people ‘out there’ looking for jobs than we might wish, and lots of other posts available elsewhere. So we are finding recruitment of new staff a tough task. We are, though, making good use of agency workers where possible – and are grateful both to the agencies and their workers who are helping us out in this way. That said, the reality remains that we are short-staffed at the moment, especially at an ‘operational’ level.

I am writing simply to ask you to bear with us over the next couple of months. Things will settle down. This doesn’t mean ‘making do’ and ‘putting up with stuff’ in the meantime. Please do draw our attention to any gaps or problems which you notice. All I ask of you is sensitivity and understanding, perhaps especially those who come on to campus for any reason, if things do take a bit longer or do go a little awry. Your prayers would also be appreciated as we navigate the coming weeks and months in order to move towards the full staffing level needed to undertake our work in more manageable ways.

Thank you, and continuing to wish you well in your studies, whatever form those take.

With blessings and best wishes as always

Clive