Common Awards webinar: Being Black, Queer and Christian

Common Awards webinar: Being Black, Queer and Christian

by Rachel Starr -
Number of replies: 0

From Common Awards

We are excited to announce the details of the September Common Awards webinar, entitled: 'Being Black, Queer and Christian'. The webinars are aimed at Common Awards students and staff but open to others with an interest in the subject areas addressed. Each webinar will include leading scholars and/or faith practitioners who will offer diverse insights into a range of topics that will directly relate to the core modules taken by Common Awards students. 

You can find the recordings of previous CA webinars here.

The September webinar in the CA series will take place 24 September, 1-2pm, via zoom, on the theme: 'Being Black, Queer and Christian'Tickets are available here 

About this webinar: 
“Am I loved, Do I have worth? Is my life worth living?...These are three questions that I have in my own life asked myself, pondered, wrestled with, and largely, in fact entirely, because of my position in the world as someone who is Black Queer and Christian.” (Jarel Robinson-Brown)

·      What are the experiences of black, gay, men in the Church of England today?

·      How can we speak of God’s grace in the midst of LGBTQ+ oppression and marginalisation?

·      What does Queer theology have to say about the Incarnation of Christ?

·      What is the role of the Church today in the lives of black and queer bodies?

These are just some of the questions that will be explored in the latest Common Awards webinar, entitled: “Being Black, Queer and Christian”. The journalist, Rosie Dawson, will be joined by the Revd Jarel Robinson-Brown to discuss his latest book, Black, Gay, British, Christian, Queer: Church and the Famine of Grace.

Jarel Robinson-Brown is the Assistant Curate at St Botolph's-without-Aldgate in the City of London. Prior to that he served as Associate Chaplain to King's College London and as a Methodist Minister. His research interests are in Bodies, Desire, Gender and Ethnicity in Egyptian Late Antiquity as well as Queer Theology.

Rosie Dawson is a religion journalist, documentary maker and radio producer with more than 20 years experience in the BBC’s Religion and Ethics department. She left the BBC in 2018 to pursue a freelance career and other interests, which include a lifelong passion for Theology.

The event will take place via Zoom, 24 September, 1 pm.

Please note that a BSL interpreter will be present at this event.

Tickets are available here

If you have any questions about this event or anything related to the CA webinar series, please contact Eve Parker on eve.r.parker@durham.ac.uk