Seminar open to All Rethinking Mission and Evangelism and will run on Friday 30th October 2-3pm booking open NEXT WEEK

Seminar open to All Rethinking Mission and Evangelism and will run on Friday 30th October 2-3pm booking open NEXT WEEK

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

To all Staff and Students (including new students!)

Many of you will remember the Common Awards announcement back in July about a webinar on 4th September from our own Prof Beckford.  I was sent the announcement on a Friday- we posted it to you all on Tuesday morning (as I happened to be out of the office on that Friday and Monday)- only for all of you to find that the event was fully booked.  We thanked Common Awards for arranging these seminars but asked them to review their booking system.  I am pleased to say that they have done so and have today emailed me with ADVANCED WARNING of the booking for the next seminar in the series will open next week (I don’t have an exact day) with increased zoom capacity.  Follow the link to the seminar website next week to book on- if you are keen put a reminder to check this page every day until you spot it!

https://www.dur.ac.uk/common.awards/diversity-inclusion/webinars/

The seminar which any Queen’s student or staff member can join (it is open to non-common awards students) is:

Rethinking Mission and Evangelism and will run on Friday 30th October 2-3pm with Dr Cathy Ross and Rev Dr Anderson Jeremiah HOST: Chine McDonald

I really hope that a) lots of you get to go this time and b) would ask that (after the fuss I kicked up) if you book a ticket and then find you CAN’T attend that you let Eve at Common Awards know so someone else can benefit from your ticket:

eve.r.parker@durham.ac.uk    

In addition they have let us know that ‘the recent Common Awards webinar: The Bible and Resisting Racism, that took place 4 September, was recorded and the webinar will hopefully be available for TEIs by next week, (w/c 14th September) links will be included on the CA website’:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/common.awards/diversity-inclusion/webinars/

The original announcement

The Common Awards team is excited to announce a new series of webinars that will begin in September.  

The webinars are aimed at Common Awards students and staff but open to others with an interest in the subject areas addressed. Each webinar will include leading scholars and/or faith practitioners who will offer diverse insights into a range of topics that will directly relate to the core modules taken by Common Awards students.  

The first webinar will take place 4 September, 2-3pm, via zoom, on the theme: The Bible and Resisting Racism.  

About this webinar: 

How does the Bible address issues of racism, prejudice and oppression? What are the implications of our social location on how we understand the Bible? How can the Bible help us in our formation to become racial justice advocates in our theology and ministry...? 

These are just some of the questions that will be addressed in the first Common Awards webinar of the series, entitled:The Bible and Resisting Racism

Prof Robert Beckford, professor of Black Theology at The Queens Foundation, will be in conversation with Prof Grant Macaskill, Kirby Laing Chair of New Testament Exegesis at the University of Aberdeen. The Webinar will be hosted by Augustine Tanner-Ihm, winner of the 2020 Theology Slam. 

Please note that a BSL interpreter will be present at this event. 

More details for the webinars can be found on the Hub, under “Hub Resources – Common Awards Webinars” and also on the Common Awards website

If you have any further questions about the webinars please get in touch with Eve Parker at eve.r.parker@durham.ac.uk  

Apologies for the fourth whole college new item this week- we only use this channel for really important messages, but this is a busy time of year!

Best wishes for the weekend, Katherine Onion, Academic Registrar