To all students,
The Academic Handbooks 2020-21 (Common Awards version and Newman Version) have now been published on the Academic Information Page on Moodle:
This is a very important document that we recommend you re familiarise yourself with each year. It should take about 20 minutes to read. Below this message is a list of sections which have been updated this year. For new students this is a document worth reading prior to your induction event if possible so you can ask questions in the appropriate session.
Also now published on this Moodle page is a guide to the student database Student Advantage. A lot of work has gone on over the summer to improve and expand this resource following feedback. You will login in the same way with the same link but a different structure has been used behind the scenes so it worth reviewing all areas of the menu with the guide so that you can see what information is available to you now from here, including for continuing students showing module results from last year that are now 'confirmed by the exam board' etc. Do take 10 minutes to look through this guide and again bookmark pages that you find useful. New students your accounts are being created for this currently- they should all be in place in time for your induction event. Note that Advantage is designed to be read on a tablet as well as a computer screen and so often information is spread across a number of subpages within a menu in order to allow for viewing on a narrower screen. You will note that some areas say under development there is more work for us to do to fully utilize the database's capabilities, look out for updates during the year.
We hope these guides are useful.
Katherine Onion, Academic Registrar
ACADEMIC HANDBOOK Changes to note for ongoing students:
1. New welcome section from Proff Clive Marsh
2. New distance learning module type page 3
3. Updates about permission for recording sessions to including virtual teaching page 5
4. Updated chaplain availability for all student’s page 6
5. Provision of Library service re Covid 19 amended Page 6
6. Expanded list of academic reps needed to include distance learning students page 8
7. Reminder not to leave asking for an extension until the day of the deadline (unless it is an emergency)-your personal tutor may be busy, and you may not get this approved in time. If it is an emergency and something happens on that day and you can’t get hold of your personal tutor or centre director contact registry to ask them to find someone to stand in as tutor for you. Page 12
8. Increased explanation of what the Serious Adverse Circumstances (SAC) process is for page 16
9. Core resubmission deadlines listed page 18
10. Updated list of awards to add the Graduate Certificate, plus more explanation about what moving from the PG Dip to the MA means page 21 (ie you leave with one large award the MA not two the PG Dip and MA).